Modern financial markets are characterized by significant growth of algo trading along with a proliferation of execution venues (exchanges, ECNs, banks, non-bank trading venues, etc. ). Traders face a bewildering set of choices of where and how to execute; how to measure and achieve “best execution”.
TimeBase, from its inception, was designed as a time-series database, streaming engine, and messaging middleware for the financial markets domain. It was designed to solve business goals for both buy-side and sell-side institutions. Time-series processing is in our DNA.
TimeBase has been built on the idea of a very fast population and retrieval of massive volumes of time-series data and delivering that data for subsequent use by both in-house and third-party software. TimeBase was developed to meet the requirements of a wide range of businesses (from individual traders to sophisticated enterprise-level trading platforms). We designed the architecture of TimeBase to easily scale up and down with linear performance scaling. Being a professional solution for financial markets, TimeBase supports MiFID II legislative framework and, thus, is capable of providing superior timestamp resolution up to nanoseconds. We also by default support IEEE64 format for Decimal data types.
TimeBase, developed by a team of domain experts, covers practical needs such as:
- Unified codebase to work with both historical and real-time data at the same time.
- Provision of market data from multiple sources simultaneously even for the same trading instrument
- Flexible schema-based data structure with embedded data serialization and modeling framework facilitates a smooth transition from rapid data prototyping to a production solution.
- Web Interface capable of displaying years’ worth of tick data across multiple trading instruments in seconds.
Selected Use Cases
- Market data aggregation: Depth of the book (including ITCH/MBO) market data is handled with superior speed measured in millions of messages per second on terabytes of data.
TimeBase allows the simultaneous running of multiple readers and writers.
- Automated time-series bars generation: When recording tick or intra-day data, TimeBase can create and maintain time-based bars automatically.
- Live data streaming: TimeBase is ideally suited for distributing data over the Internet.